There are many reasons why you might need to turn on your HP laptop without the power button. Maybe the button is broken, or you’re working on a project and the battery has died.
Have you ever come across a laptop that won’t turn on without pressing the power button?
If you have an HP laptop and the power button is not working, you might be wondering if there’s a way to turn on your laptop without the power button. Then you are in luck.
In this article, we have not only discussed the factors that might affect the working of your laptop power button but also provided you with a guide that will show you a few different ways to turn on your laptop.
Reasons that affect the working power button of the laptop
There are many reasons why the power button might not work. Here are some of them:
- The power button might not work because of a faulty or broken power button.
- It might not work because of a defective motherboard
- It might not be working because of a faulty power supply
- If the laptop is turned on but the battery is not charged
Different ways to turn on the laptop without a power button
There are several ways you can choose to turn on the HP laptop without the power button. You can use one of the methods below to turn on your system and access your important files and documents.
The methods include:
- Fixing the button on the motherboard
- Using an external Windows keyboard
- Clock battery method
- With wall socket or extensions
Fixing the button on the motherboard:
This method will work on HP laptops; even if the power button of the laptop is broken or damaged, you can still turn on your laptop with this method.
Following are the steps you should follow:
- Remove the charging cable from your laptop
- Look for the power button on your laptop case
- Disconnect the power button.
- The power button will have between 3 and 6 pins.
- Connect the pins using wire, or use a conductor like a screwdriver.
- When you connect the pins with the conductor, the laptop will start.
- That’s it, you’re done.
Using External Windows Keyboard:
This method is just a preventative measure against the problem that may occur at any time. By doing this, you prevent yourself from having to manually turn on the laptop (via the motherboard). You should enable this option in advance.
Normally, laptops and computers have this feature enabled by default in their settings, but if yours doesn’t, you can enable it in your BIOS (Basic Input/Output System). Before you have a problem with the power button, enable this option so you have a backup button from which you can turn on your system.
- You can access the BIOS settings interface. To access the system BIOS, press a special key when your computer starts.
- Depending on the manufacturer, the special key may be “DEL,” “F2,” or “F10.” Locate the appropriate settings.
- The setting will probably be under the advance tab in BIOS and named “Power Management.” After clicking on the power management menu, you will see the option “Power On By Keyboard” or something similar.
- The last step is to check whether it is correctly configured. Shut down your system and press the key you set in the BIOS for turning on your laptop. It should power On your laptop just like you pressed the power button.
Clock Battery method :
The clock battery in a laptop can be used to power up your laptop in case the power button is not working and you have urgent work to finish. For this method, you have to follow the steps below to get your laptop started.
- Disconnect the battery cable (not charging cable) from the motherboard
- Disconnect the clock battery from the motherboard
As a result, your laptop will have no power left and will boot up from any source of power. Then reattach the battery, and the battery will power on regardless of the order in which you connect the laptop to the charger.
With wall socket or extension:
If you are using a laptop of a brand like HP, then this option will be easy for you to use. This method is also for those who don’t want to short circuit their laptop for turning it on without a power button.
Following are the steps you should follow:
- Find the cable that connects the power button to the Motherboard
- Remove the cable from the socket and leave it disconnected
- Remove the battery.
- Plug the laptop into the socket and it will turn on.
- Place the battery into the laptop then if you want to disconnect the power socket it should be OK.
The power button on your laptop is the primary option to turn on your HP laptop. Turning on your HP laptop without the power button can be a little tricky, but it’s doable. Here in this article, we have not only discussed the factors that might affect the working of the laptop power button but also provide tips to turn on your laptop without a power button.
We hope this article will help you in finding the best possible way to turn on your laptop without a power button. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to leave a comment below.